Home Support FAQ's

Not too sure about something? These FAQ's might have the answer you're looking for.

  • How do I get referred?

    After you have been assessed as eligible for a home care package, there is a 5-step pathway to access and manage your services:

    1. Receive the outcome of your assessment

    2. Research home care providers and work out the costs

    3. Be assigned a home care package

    4. Enter into a home care agreement

    5. Manage your services 

    The My Aged Care website will help you discover more about the referral process.
    Visit www.myagedcare.gov.au/help-home/home-care-packages or call Alwyndor and have a chat with one of our coordinators on 8177 3200.

  • How long can a HCP be provided?

    Once you commence on a HCP package, services will continue to be provided for as long as you remain eligible, are in the same council area and can be safely supported with this level of care. Depending on your HCP, if your needs increase you may be offered transfer to a higher level HCP. If your needs reduce, you may be offered transfer to a lower level package.

  • What happens when I apply for a Home Support Package?

    When your Home Support Package is assigned, a coordinator will arrange a mutually convenient time to visit you in your home. The coordinator will talk with you and anyone else you choose to have present about your needs and the type of help you might require. A written service plan will then be developed in consultation with you describing the help Alwyndor will provide, and the agreed days and times of our staff visits. You’ll also be given a service agreement which will explain your rights and responsibilities and those of Alwyndor. 

  • Can I change my program or services?

    Packages are designed to be flexible within funding limitations. One off and short term changes can be organised with your Coordinator, subject to available funds. Services will be reviewed regularly and can be changed as your needs change. If the type of package you have no longer meets your needs, your Coordinator will help you identify and access other sources of care and support.

  • How much does it cost?

    CHSP is based on an hourly charge.

    If you’re entering into a L1-L4 you are expected to pay a fee for these services.  

    You may be asked to pay one or both of the following under a Home Care Package.

    • Basic daily care fee for Consumer Directed Care (CDC) equivalent to 17.5% of the single basic pension. 
    • An income tested fee may apply if your income is over a certain amount. This is determined by Department of Health and reviewed every quarter. 
    • Case management applies to all Home Care Packages (CHSP excluded)

    Please note: The Government will reduce the amount of subsidy it pays to your service provider (Alwyndor), based on the amount you are asked to pay as an income tested fee. The income test arrangements and the care subsidy are administered by the Department of Health.

    You can contact the Department of Health on 1800 653 227 or My Aged Care on 1800 200 422 to help estimate the fees and charges you may have to pay towards your package. Alternatively, you can use the calculator on the My Aged Care website www.myagedcare.gov.au

  • What are my rights as a Home Support Client?
    • Be treated with respect 
    • Be involved in deciding what care will meet your needs 
    • Have a written agreement covering everything you and your service provider have agreed to 
    • Have your care and services reviewed 
    • Privacy and confidentiality of your personal information 
    • Be given information on how to make comments and/or complaints about your care and services 
    • Have your fees determined in a way that is transparent, accessible and fair 
    • Be given a copy of the Charter of Care Recipients’ Rights and Responsibilities for Home Care

  • What are my responsibilities?
    • Respect the rights of the workers 
    • Give enough information to the service provider so they can develop and deliver your care plan 
    • Follow the terms and conditions of your written agreement 
    • Allow safe and reasonable access for care workers at the times agreed in your care plan 
    • Pay any fees outlined in your written agreement
  • Who funds the Alwyndor HCP Program?

    Alwyndor is funded by the Australian Government (Department of Health and Ageing), to provide HCP services.

  • What if I have a Compliment, Complaint or Suggestion?

    We value your feedback which is why we have a feedback form to easily submit your compliment, complaint or suggestion. 

    If you wish to provide us with feedback, click here to go to our feedback form.

Your pathway to home support can be daunting, so please don’t hesitate to contact any of the Alwyndor Home Support Services team on 8177 3200 for guidance or assistance.


Share This